Below is the most recent version of the Queen's Scout Working Party's service agreement with National Headquarters.
The Queen's Scout Working Party (QSWP) is a national Scout Active Support Unit (SASU). It's remit is to support national Scouting events, and to act as ambassadors for the Top Awards (with a particular focus on those for Explorers and Scout Network).
The QSWP Manager has overall control of the QSWP operation, with the assistance of 3 Scout Active Support coordinators (covering Membership, Finance and Events respectively). The manager role is a national appointment, appointed from the QSWP membership by The Scout Association (TSA) in consultation with the QSWP members. The coordinator roles last for 3 years, and are appointed by the QSWP members at the AGM of the QSWP. Additional non-committee roles may be appointed by the QSWP manager or at the QSWP AGM as required, for instance a social media coordinator.
The QSWP management committee reports to the national Head of Scout Active Support.
Members of the QSWP must hold the UK Queen's Scout Award, and must have joined the QSWP before their 30th birthday. An annual fee, currently set at £5, is payable to retain active membership. Active members are full members of the SASU, and must abide by TSA Policy, Organisation and Rules (POR). This includes holding a valid DBS.
Members may lapse their membership and become 'friends'. As a friend, they are not part of the SASU (e.g. cannot attend events, are not required to hold a DBS), but may rejoin the QSWP as an active member at a future date and are kept informed of what is happening with the QSWP.
Service Provision by the QSWP
- The QSWP will endeavour to support all major national Scouting events, and make itself available where possible to support any other events as requested by The Scout Association.
- The QSWP will act as ambassadors for the Top Awards, in particular at events at a County, Regional or National level (for example, celebration events or top award conferences). In addition, members are encouraged to support their county, district and group(s) in achieving the Top Awards and resources will be produced by the QSWP to aid with this.
- The QSWP will make its members available to act as mentors as part of the Scouts of the World Award.
Support Provided to the QSWP
- TSA will provide support to the QSWP via the Programme Education Team.
- TSA will provide resources to support the QSWP in the promotion of the Top Awards; for example, banners and leaflets.
- TSA will keep members of the QSWP up to date with any changes to the Top Awards through the QSWP Manager, who will disseminate the information to members. This will ensure that the QSWP has the latest information available when supporting the awards.
- TSA will keep the QSWP informed of new opportunities and events with which it could be involved.
As of 21st May 2018, this agreement has been accepted by both James Baker (as QSWP Manager on behalf of the QSWP) and Gyles Wren (as Head of Scout Active Support on behalf of the Scout Association).